Sunday, November 25, 2012

Composition



Continuing on the theme of rules, we now have the rule of composition; well really I would say the absence of a rule on composition.  The composition of a shot can be as planned as you want or as spur of the moment as the moments do present themselves. It can take weeks to setup a correct composition to the shot and can be a very daunting task. However you can also create beautifully composed shots in the blink of an eye.  It depends a lot on what you’re photographing, and the style of image you’re going for. When I was taking my composition shots I was trying to think about the focal of the picture and the things in relationship to the focal point. I would walk around a focal point and try to see which angle was the best composition. Also I think sometimes we get caught up with the distance and height to an image. Don’t forget you can get closer, farther away, above and below the focal to change your composition. Try not to become one dimensional and only photograph things as you think other people would see them. Part of photography is to push others into your way of thinking.
There is no right or wrong when it comes to composition, but you can fall far from the public interest if you compose your shot on the wrong thing or capture a not-as-meaningful picture. It’s not that your picture isn’t as good as the next; it could be that the viewer just doesn’t connect with your composition. That can happen with any aspect of photography and can be a hindrance to photographers that try to please other people with their pictures. I think you have to be able to take your mind out of the picture and just shoot what feels right. I think a lot of the times I over think a composed picture and it can take away from the life of the picture. I like having pictures that are spur of the moment and on a whim. However I also like landscape photography and it can take a while for the right shot to present itself there.
So what am I trying to say? Love what you do and take some time to plan out your shot and also be sure to (since we’re mostly digital now) snap away! I appreciate both facets of composition, the composed shots and the click clicks of the spur of the moments and I think that it’s important to have both in your bag of photography tricks. You don’t necessarily have to decide which path you’re closer to, as long as you know how to do both. Also remember even if your shot isn’t perfectly composed at first, there are always post editing and many programs out there that can help you compose them afterwards. You don’t always see the magic in your pictures as soon as you take them. Sometimes it takes a larger screen and another look!

No comments:

Post a Comment